Makeup is a necessary part of many people's everyday lives. It can help you feel more confident and look your best. However, many people ask the question: How long does makeup last?
Here, we will discuss the average lifespan of different types of makeup and provide tips on how to make it last longer.
The Average Lifespan Of Different Types Of Makeup
Powder: 1-2 Years
Powder products have a relatively long shelf life compared to other types of makeup. This includes items such as:
- face powder
As long as these items are kept clean and dry, they can be used for up to two years after being opened.
Liquid: 3-6 Months
Liquid cosmetics have a shorter shelf life than powder makeup, but they can still last for several months if properly cared for. These can include:
- setting spray
These items should be kept in a cool, dry place—away from direct sunlight or excessive heat. When stored properly, they can last for three to six months after being opened.
Cream: 6-12 Months
Like liquid makeup, cream products should be stored in a cool, dry place to prevent them from going bad prematurely. This includes items such as:
- cream eyeshadow
- cream blush
With proper care, these items can be used for up to one year after being opened.
How Long Do Cosmetics Last Unopened?
In addition to knowing how long makeup lasts once it's been opened, you may also be wondering how long makeup lasts unopened. Most makeup items have a shelf life of two to three years—regardless of whether they've been opened.
Of course, there are always exceptions to this rule. For example, mascara has a shorter shelf life than other types of makeup because it's a breeding ground for bacteria. Mascara should be replaced every three to six months—even if it hasn't been used.
Are Expiration Dates a Suggestion?
Cosmetic expiration dates are not suggestions, although they can be effective and safe for use after expiration if they have been stored properly, but their efficacy and safety cannot be guaranteed.
Most cosmetics have a life of between 12 and 18 months, but this varies depending on the product. Cosmetic items that contain water or other agents that support microbial growth can expire sooner. Expired makeup can cause skin irritation, redness, and other adverse effects, so we recommend that you throw them!
How Can You Tell If A Cosmetic Has Expired?
The life of a cosmetic depends on various factors, including the cosmetic itself, the packaging, and how it's stored. To determine whether or not a cosmetic has expired, look for the following:
- The expiration date: All products should contain this, printed on the packaging and on the item itself.
- The smell, color and texture: Expired products often have a different smell or texture. If the smell, color, or texture changes, chances are that the item has probably expired.
- The consistency: Generally, a liquid item - such as foundation - that is approaching the end of its life may appear thicker than its fresher counterpart.
If any of these factors become an issue, the best course of action is to throw the product out and replace it with a new one.
Tips To Handle Your Makeup Properly
Now that you know how long makeup lasts, here are a few tips to help you handle your makeup properly:
- Keep your makeup in a cool, dry place: A cool, dry environment will help prolong the life of your makeup.
- Avoid direct sunlight: Direct sunlight is an arch enemy of makeup and will cause it to degrade faster.
- Check the seals: Ensure all cosmetic containers are sealed tightly to prevent contamination.
- Wash your hands: Always wash your hands before applying makeup to prevent bacteria from getting into the products.
Following these simple tips will help ensure that your makeup lasts as long as possible. By taking proper care, you can enjoy your favorites for many years to come!
So, how long will your makeup last? It depends on the product type, how you store it and how often you use it.
With a little know-how and some simple tips, you can make your favorite items last at least until their expiry date - maybe even longer.