When it comes to makeup, there are certain essentials that everyone should have in their collection, and this applies to beginners and seasoned pros. These products will help you create a variety of looks that will suit any occasion.
But before we discuss makeup, it's vital that we start with a fresh, clean slate, so there are also essentials that form part of your skincare routine too. Without a proper skincare routine, it's like adding decorations to a dead Christmas tree: pointless! So, without further ado, let's get started with the first step in your makeup routine: skincare!
Your Skincare Routine
The first step in any good skincare routine is cleansing. This helps to remove dirt, oil, and impurities from the skin, leaving it feeling clean and refreshed. It's important to choose a cleanser that's suited to your skin type, as using the wrong one can actually do more harm than good.
The next step in your skincare routine is toning. This helps to remove any remaining dirt or makeup that your cleanser may have missed, as well as helping to restore the skin's pH balance. Toners also help to prep the skin for the rest of your skincare by creating a barrier that allows them to be absorbed more easily.
The third step in your skincare routine is essence. This is a relatively new product on the market, but it's quickly become a cult favorite amongst beauty enthusiasts. Essences are designed to target specific skin concerns, such as premature aging or dullness. They generally have a watery consistency and are applied after cleansing and toning, but before serums and moisturizers.
The fourth step in your skincare routine is serum. Serums are also designed to target specific skin concerns, such as wrinkles or dark spots. They generally have a gel-like neutral consistency and are applied after cleansing, toning and essence, but before moisturizing.
The fifth and final step in your skincare routine is moisturizing. This helps to lock in everything you've applied previously, as well as providing an extra boost of hydration.
If you have oily skin, opt for a light lotion or gel. If you have dry skin, look for a thick cream or cream-based ointment. If you have sensitive skin, choose a moisturizer that contains soothing, neutralizing ingredients like aloe vera or chamomile.
The Icing on the Cake
Basic Makeup Essentials
The final step in your beauty routine is makeup! Makeup is a great way to enhance your features and create a polished look, for both beginners and the mature woman.
There are a variety of different types of makeup available, so it's important to find products that suit your needs. If you have oily skin, opt for oil-free foundation and powder blush. If you have dry skin, look for products that contain hydrating ingredients like glycerin or hyaluronic acid.
For a complete basic makeup kit, we recommend:
- Primer: While you can use makeup without primer, a good primer helps create an even canvas for your foundation and concealer.
- Foundation: A good foundation is essential for creating a flawless complexion. Choose one that matches your skin tone perfectly and use a brush or sponge for the most natural results.
- Concealer: Concealer is perfect for hiding dark circles and other imperfections. Choose a shade that’s one or two shades lighter than your foundation to create a neutral palette for your other cosmetics.
- Powder: A powder can help set your makeup and make it last longer. Choose one that matches your skin tone and use a brush for an even finish.
- Blush: A blush can provide a highlighter for your cheeks in a rosy hue, making you look healthy and happy. Choose a shade that’s closest to your natural skin tone and apply it to the apples of your cheeks as a highlighter using a brush.
- Bronzer: Bronzer can give your skin a sun-kissed glow, no matter what time of year it is. Choose a bronzer shade that’s one or two shades darker than your natural skin tone and apply it to the areas where the sun would naturally hit your face (e.g., the forehead, cheeks, and chin).
- Eyeshadow: Eyeshadow can help define your eyes and make them look brighter and more awake. Choose a few eyeshadow shades that complement each other and use them to create different looks for day or night.
- Eyeliner: Eyeliner can help make your eyes look bigger and more defined. Choose a black or brown eyeliner that matches your eye color and use it to line both the top and bottom lashes.
- Mascara: Mascara can add volume and length to your lashes, making them look fuller and more beautiful. Choose a black or brown mascara depending on your hair color and apply it to both the top and bottom lashes for maximum impact.
- Lipstick: Lipstick can act as a highlighter for your lips and give them a glossy finish. Choose a shade that complements your skin tone and wear it alone or over lip balm for extra hydration.
There are numerous other additions to your makeup kit available for beginners and those that have been around for a while, but these are the basics that you need to get started.
Don't forget that skincare forms a very important part of your beauty regime and should not be ignored! With these items, you can create an endless number of looks, from natural and understated to glam and over-the-top.