The US State of California signed AB2762 into law on September 30, 2020 to ban 24 toxic chemicals in cosmetics, all of which are also banned by the European Union.
According to this bill, from January 1, 2025, no person or entity shall manufacture, sell, deliver, hold, or offer for sale, in commerce any cosmetic product that contains any of the following 24 intentionally added ingredients:
(1) Dibutyl phthalate (CAS no. 84-74-2).
(2) Diethylhexyl phthalate (CAS no. 117-81-7).
(3) Formaldehyde (CAS no. 50-00-0).
(4) Paraformaldehyde (CAS no. 30525-89-4).
(5) Methylene glycol (CAS no. 463-57-0).
(6) Quaternium-15 (CAS no. 51229-78-8).
(7) Mercury (CAS no. 7439-97-6).
(8) Isobutylparaben (CAS no. 4247-02-3).
(9) Isopropylparaben (CAS no. 4191-73-5).
(10) m-Phenylenediamine and its salts (CAS no. 108-45-2).
(11) o-Phenylenediamine and its salts (CAS no. 95-54-5).
The following per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) and their salts are also banned:
(12) Perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS); heptadecafluorooctane-1-sulfonic acid (CAS no. 1763-23-1).
(13) Potassium perfluorooctanesulfonate; potassium heptadecafluorooctane-1-sulfonate (CAS no. 2795-39-3).
(14) Diethanolamine perfluorooctane sulfonate (CAS 70225-14-8).
(15) Ammonium perfluorooctane sulfonate; ammonium heptadecafluorooctanesulfonate (CAS 29081-56-9).
(16) Lithium perfluorooctane sulfonate; lithium heptadecafluorooctanesulfonate (CAS 29457-72-5).
(17) Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA)(CAS no. 335-67-1).
(18) Ammonium pentadecafluorooctanoate (CAS no. 3825-26-1).
(19) Nonadecafluorodecanoic acid (CAS no. 355-76-2).
(20) Ammonium nonadecafluorodecanoate (CAS no. 3108-42-7).
(21) Sodium nonadecafluorodecanoate (CAS no. 3830-45-3).
(22) Perfluorononanoic acid (PFNA)(CAS no. 375-95-1).
(23) Sodium heptadecafluorononanoate (CAS no. 21049-39-8).
(24) Ammonium perfluorononanoate (CAS no. 4149-60-4).
Cosmetic products containing technically unavoidable trace quantities of the above ingredients due to impurities of natural or synthetic ingredients, the manufacturing process, storage, or migration from packaging are not within the scope of violation.
1. Governor Newsom Signs Legislation Making California First in the Nation to Ban Toxic Chemicals in Cosmetics
2. AB 2762 Cosmetic Products: Safety